Lately I’ve been thinking less about “what should I eat?” and more about “what am I eating?” I’m thinking these things (and stealing that line) because I’ve read Michael Pollan’s In Defense of Food and because I’m currently in the middle of The Omnivore’s Dilemma and because I’m one of those people who reads a book and is all “blah blah did you read blah blah did you know blah blah.”
What I love about his books is that he isn’t pushing a fad diet or a way to lose weight in just a few weeks. Rather he’s advocating a common-sense, surprisingly easy concept on how to live:
Don’t eat not-food.
Who knew how much Not-food I was eating! Who knew that modified, engineered, man-made food product–like the kind found in delicious bacon bits that I’ve eaten just about every day since I can remember–might not be as good for you as, say, a mango. Apparently lots of people. I’m a little late for this party.
Anyway, once you start thinking about these things, it sort of becomes an obsession. Yesterday at Safeway, I discovered that BBQ sauce without high fructose corn syrup is basically impossible to find. And that saddens me… I had many many happy memories of single life in Brooklyn, a bottle of wine, a Yankee game, my studio on Adams Street, and a rotisserie chicken from Gristedes smothered in Open Pit BBQ sauce. How can something feel so right but be so wrong…so unhealthy…so high fructose-y.
So I’ve stopped looking for low-fat this and that and started making sure nothing is partially hydrogenated. From now on, it needs to be fully hydrogenated or not hydrogenated at all or I won’t touch it. None of this half-ass hydrogenation nonsense.
Otherwise, life is rolling along. Nothing too crazy that can’t be summarized in bullets:
- Cherry Blossoms are out. DC is getting gorgeous.
- My friend Courtney uses the word”hypotenuse” when giving directions. As in, “When you get to the park, take the hypotenuse.” I love it! I’m trying to use it daily.
- I love the NPR morning edition duo Steve Inskeep and Renee Montagne. And by the way, what’s with all the NPR hosts and their totally awesome names?? I’m talking about you Lakshmi Singh!
- There needs to be a word for when someone Facebook friends you, and then you look through all their friends and pick out who you know and then friend those people. Or when someone friends you, and then you notice they looked through all your friends and friended some of them. Something like “Facefriend Trolling” or “Face Finding ” or “High Fructose Facebook Friend Stealing.” Whatever you call it, there needs to be attribution.
- I had a stellar weekend in Chicago with my Peace Corps family. My friend Julie got married and we all got together to celebrate and drink in hotel rooms. Some images:
- Can’t stop listening to and watching this video of Fleetwood Mac from The Dance. It freaks me out the way Stevie Nicks sings “You’ll never get away from the sound of a woman who loves you” right to Lindsay Buckingham. I know Stevie Nicks is a witch, but I’m convinced she’s a good witch. I’m still more scared of her than I am of partially hydrogenated soybean oil.